My photo
Cheney, Washington, United States
I love cats...& food xD!

Monday, November 17, 2008

Websites that might help

This day I realized about something that made me feel not good with my internship in the high school that I am. As I have been saying in all my reflexions, we as a prospectives teachers, we had to make classes meaningful for students, and not only that but have high expectations of them too. What I am going to mention is something that I think change everything about how I see my way of teaching in the future.
This morning I saw a student having problems doing his assignments , with writing and not only him but the others two Russian students, they don't really know how to write, they mixed their language with English and the writing is something hard to understand; I realized too that the teacher didn't care too much about it because I told him: "hey Mr. X, what about this kid, he is not doing anything..." and the only response that I received was a gesture with his face, like trying to say: "hm I don't care", then after that I pulled together everything, last Friday with the visit of some man looking for jobs for the students in the classroom because they already have enough age to work; and I know that it is OK in someway because they don't have enough money in their families but on the other hand that means that the teacher doesn't have high expectations of their future. After a while the teacher said that to me (I mean the gesture), I felt like I didn't know what to do I felt useless for them, because we had to help them with their writing, but in what I could help if they don't write anything just because they don't feel like they can do it. I took some minutes to thing about it and then I tried to start helping a Russian student with his writing, when I went to his desktop he immediately stopped what he was doing, and I started to speak to them about the first line, and we talked a lot so I told him you have a really good English!!...and he was kind of surprised about it, but it was true he really speaks very well, the problem is when he tries to put the ideas on paper then it is a mess and that because he have the problem of their first language as a interference he writes with the Russian alphabet some words, and he didn't know how to speaks well his own language either, so I told him if he is really interested in doing well, you have to put some of effort on this and do extra assignments for yourself, at the beginning he seemed like interested because I explained to him that he is not stupid (because his little brother bothers him because the little one knows how to speak English Russian write and everything very good), he just came to America not in a good age for learning another language, and even more because in his country he just started writing when he came here; and the other student who was complete ignore by the teacher didn't do anything and the only thing that he received was discipline from the teacher, nothing else, and it is even more sad because he is going to change school next week.
For an activity I really tried hard to look for something for them (the Russian students) but I could find anything good enough for them, but I found interesting thing about how to teach to struggling writers.

Interesting article:

http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst;jsessionid=JvnbhQ2mM5gZ3WjwlmmJK0M8pv5mKdz0s1PLCQdF4krwYB0LndTk!-488057137?docId=5000635371



Some assignments that can be helpful for students:

http://www.jimwrightonline.com/php/interventionista/interventionista_intv_list.php?prob_type=writing



And some podcast:

http://podcasting-in-education.wikispaces.com/Examples+of+Educational+Podcasts

http://www.slideshare.net/pafarrells/reaching-struggling-writers-through-podcasts-presentation


I really think now that for me is more meaningful to teach English to students that really need it , like here, where you know than they can't survive without a good level of English, they are just been taught for having any job that a person can offer them, and that they can do it, not something more, not university nor something higher, and those kind of jobs are the ones that American people are not willing to do. On the other hand to teach to students that don't really need a second language, like in my country because we are surrounded by countries who Speaks only Spanish, they don't have the necessity as the students from here.

1 comment:

Gina Petrie/CALE/ESLG said...

Nina,
Wow! You describe a really heartrending scene. You may be right in your suspicions that those at the school do not have high expectations for the students. I have had many non-native speaking students tell me that their K-12 teachers were preparing them more for manual labor than for more lofty goals. I'm glad that the student had this interaction with you--that you praised him for his strength: speaking skills. I like the list of activities you found to supporting writing. I found it a little funny that the link about the podcasts was not a podcast! : )

Gina